Monday, August 16, 2010

Whisky review: AnCnoc 16

The older sibling to the 12 I just reviewed, but bottled at 46% (the 12 is 43%). It's interesting - on the label for the 16, it states twice that it was matured in bourbon barrels, but the 12 doesn't say anything about maturation. Maybe they figure the drinkers of the 16 care about how it matured, while drinkers of the 12 are just your run-of-the-mill throw-it-down sloshes.

Nose: Flowers and pears. A hint of cashews? I think I can smell some bourbon in there.

Palate: Toffee, vanilla, honey. Pretty much sweetness all around.

Finish: Changes a bit to reveal something darker and juicier, almost like it's been sherried (but it hasn't). I like it. Definitely a warming finish to be remembered.

Rating (of 100): 86. The finish is the best part. I'm sure it would be ranked much more highly if I were personally a huge fan of sweet whiskies.

No comments:

Post a Comment