Monday, September 20, 2010

Whisky review: Auchentoshan Classic

Auchentoshan is one of the few distilleries left in the lowlands of Scotland. They are unique in that they triple distill their whisky, like is traditional in Ireland, perhaps alluding to some Irish influence. In the case of the Auchentoshan Classic, this is a no age statement whisky that has been matured solely in bourbon barrels.

Auchentoshan Classic, 40% ABV
Single malt Scotch whisky (Lowlands)

Appearance: Gold.

Nose: Nicely floral, with some fresh wood, vanilla, and honey notes.

Palate: Um, you lost me. There's an undertone of sweetness, masked by some harsher, bad wood notes pervading the whisky.

Finish: What I would expect from damp cardboard.

Rating (of 100): 65. Pretty damn dismal after the nose. This whisky puts the "ass" in "classic."

2 comments:

  1. I think it is a great entry level single malt. For the price, its great for an aperitif mid day or before dinner... I would not turn it away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, thanks for the comment. Every person is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm glad you like it - I'll send any of mine your way!

    ReplyDelete