Sunday, December 12, 2010

Whisky review: Lagavulin 16

Lagavulin is another one of the Diageo Classic Malts, hailing from the Scottish island of Islay (pronounced "eye-luh"). It's typically revered as a quintessential Islay malt, meaning it shows off the island's peat and maritime character.

Lagavulin 16, 43%
Single malt Scotch whisky (Islay)

Appearance:
Orange tan.

Nose: Salt, seaweed, peat. Barbecued meat, tar. A seaside feast.

Palate: Full peat smoke with vanilla. Very smooth mouthfeel, but not oily. More salt. Shiver me timbers, matey!

Finish: Peat, smoke, and tar. Yar hardy har.

Rating (of 100): 92. I remember havin' this as one o' the first o' them thar peaty whiskies when I was just a wee scotch novice. She blew me away with her peat then; now, after I've tried some o' the true peat monsters, she seems more subdued. Still, she still has a solid peat backbone, fleshed out with the full wardrobe o' maritime flavors. This be Islay, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment