Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Whisky review: Glen Moray 12

I was visiting my family in Wisconsin and found this whisky on the shelf, boasting a rating of 91 by Jim Murray (of Whisky Bible fame). I thought I'd give it a try and bring it with me on a trip to Puerto Rico with my family. So here I am, enjoying the heat at the end of December and sipping on a single malt.

Glen Moray 12, 40% ABV
Single malt Scotch whisky (Speyside)

Appearance: White wine.

Nose: Lemon peel, young oranges.

Palate: More young fruits, floral. Light honey, wax. Some bitterness develops late - reminds me of some nasty Bacardi I just tasted.

Finish: A hint of sherry in the finish, and a touch of peat.

Rating (of 100): 84. The bitterness knocks it out of orbit.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin, I like your blog, and we have a common fondness for Old Pulteney 12! Was the Glen Moray bottle open, and less than 1/2 full? If so, the bitterness is more likely than not the product of oxidation in the bottle. The whisky does go bad in the bottle (like wine, but slower). I recognized the other good nose and palate notes of the Glen Moray 12, which is a whisky I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florin, thanks for the kind words. The Glen Moray was a new and unopened bottle before I wrote that review, so it had definitely not oxidized. Glad to know we agree on the OP 12, though, and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete