Saturday, July 31, 2010

Holy crap

I think some people out there are missing the point of whisky. I read several months ago that Diageo, the world's largest spirits company, had released The John Walker, an ultra-super-mega-ridiculous-premium brand of blended Scotch whisky. It was apparently introduced in order to give rich stiffs a chance to blow their money faster than before. I guess cocaine is out of style. The John Walker retails for $3000 a bottle (yes, U.S. dollars) and comes in a hand-made Baccarat crystal decanter, complete with a 24-karat gold neck collar.

This is nuts. This is the Lamborghini of the whisky world, except most people don't even know what it is, so you won't actually be able to impress anyone.

I remember seeing the Johnnie Walker Blue Label King George V in a duty free shop, retailing for about $400, and thinking THAT was expensive. Then again, I believe it only came in a non-hand-made crystal decanter, and just a silk-lined box or some crap like that. So pedestrian.

Well, I'm now going to go back to drinking my Old Pulteney 12, which I just bought for $34.99. Hey, I saved $2965.01!

No comments:

Post a Comment