Sunday, January 25, 2015

Who really cares how it looks???

As I'm re-entering the world of whisky from a three-year hiatus in Arizona, I've come to the realization that the appearance notes made by many bloggers (including me!) and tasting reviews are pretty much worthless. I won't be making them from now on.

If you're skeptical, let me know if the color description of a whisky has ever swayed your decision about whether to buy it, or about whether you enjoyed it or not. I can say that I have never had this experience.

Here's an example of one very famous whisky personality explaining how to taste whisky, and why you should care about the appearance. Instead of guessing about the maturation and age of the whisky based on its appearance, I'd rather just look at the bottle or search online for the actual facts. What if it's a blind tasting? You should be able to tell much more accurately how old it is and what its maturation was from the nose and the palate.

I'd also think that, as whisky nerds, most of us would understand that scotch whiskies can legally have caramel coloring added to them. So the color could have been manipulated anyway.


So stop looking at it and start drinking it. Can I get a hell yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment