Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whisky review: Laphroaig 10

This is the third Laphroaig I've reviewed, and probably not the last.

Laphroaig 10, 43% ABV
Single malt Scotch whisky (Islay)

Nose: Iodine, bandages, grass, smoke, toasted nuts.

Palate: Peat and smoke with a honey and vanilla background. Coal works its way in after a bit.

Finish: A bit of sweetness immediately after swallowing, and then peat and smoke just linger on and on...

Rating (of 100): 90. When I first tried Laphroaig, it blew my mind - I was fairly new to whisky and had never sampled a peated one. Now, having drunk my fair share of barbecue-in-a-bottle malts, the Laphroaig 10 doesn't stand out as particularly peaty or smoky, but it does still hold a character that I always like. It has a grassy youthfulness that does indeed make me think of a barbecue...one of those almost-summer barbecues where the lawn has come back to life and so has the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment