Monday, January 24, 2011

Whisky review: Springbank 10

(For more information on the Springbank distillery, please see my entry for the Springbank 15.)

The Springbank 10 is aged mostly in ex-bourbon casks, with a little maturation in ex-sherry casks. This is in contrast to the Springbank 15, which is aged purely in ex-sherry casks.

Springbank 10, 46% ABV
Single malt Scotch whisky (Campbeltown)

Nose: Peat, brine. Some sugary fruit.

Palate: A good dose of dark peat pervades the mouth. Bitter dark chocolate tied up with lemons, green apples, and vanilla.

Finish: More peat and salt. Light wood, milk chocolate. Dry.

Rating (of 100): 87. I feel like the peat dominates and there are a lot of other aspects that struggle to shine through. This is strange - the Longrow CV, which I just reviewed, is supposed to be the heavily-peated version of Springbank, but I got more peat out of the Springbank 10. That's not to say I'm complaining tonight; it's currently 5 degrees Fahrenheit outside and a little peat kick is definitely helping me stay warm and sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment